|TOYOTA AVENSIS AND RAV 4 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION HARSH SHIFT PROBLEMS
A common problem with these models is the ECU (PCM) malfunction resulting in automatic transmission shift problems.
- Harsh transmission shifting.
- Transmission neutralises during shifting
- Transmission slipping and jerking.
- Shuddering and harsh shifting.
- DTC codes relating to shift solenoids or shift solenoid circuits.
Problem - ECU Malfunction
The ECU (PCM) controls and manages both the engine management and the automatic transmission. This problem is due to an internal ECU malfunction causing the above mentioned problems.
Check transmission oil level and condition.
Road test the vehicle to establish the severity of the problem.
Connect a scanner to extract fault codes – typical fault codes for this problem are:-
- P0750 Shift solenoid `A’ malfunction
- P0753 Shift solenoid `A’ electrical malfunction
- P0755 Shift solenoid `B’ malfunction
- P0758 Shift solenoid `B’ electrical malfunction
- P1760 Linear solenoid for line pressure control circuit malfunction.
- Repair the ECU as required. Call CoolDrive EFI Division for repair options
[Note: NO programming or relinking is necessary after repairing the original ECU]
- The Automatic Transmission must be checked and repaired if required.
Caution: Although the cause of the problem can be localised at the ECU, it is possible that as a result of the ECU malfunction the Automatic Transmission may have sustained mechanical damage.